Thursday, December 13, 2007

Let's Make Homemade Soup!

Yup, I am shamelessly copying other blogs! ;o)
Here's one version of my homemade soup, sooooo much better than canned and really, it doesn't take any longer.

*Ingredients*
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
For this soup I am using Organic chicken broth, 2 cups of water, 2 cups of small seashell pasta, 1.5 cups of celery, 1.5 cups of carrots, 1 tbsp EACH of garlic powder, onion powder, Italian herbs, 1.2 tsp of lemon pepper, 2.5 cups of chopped cooked chicken breast.(You can alternate any of these ingredients, and I do depending on what I have on hand. Really, this is just pantry soup!!LOL


Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Add your water and broth to a large pot.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
spices.....

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
veggies.......

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
chopped, cooked chicken (I just fried up 3 chicken breast in olive oil to give some flavour because they are boneless, skinless breasts. Thighs with bones and skin make a beautiful broth and you wouldn't even need the already made broth!!)

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
YUM! Now, you will let it simmer until your veggies are tender. You can now pre-cook your pasta in a separate pot(I do and then just store them in the fridge, cook your pasta so as the noodles are still a bit firm) and I dump it in a few minutes before we're ready to eat.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Noodles are done! Add them to your soup after you drain them.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Dinner is ready!! Yummo!!!

We had this the other night for dinner, everyone has been sick so this was a perfect supper. Like I said, you can add pretty much whatever you like, Turkey works really good too. You can use frozen veggies as well. If I am using chicken thighs or a whole chicken, I cook it in the water for flavour and eliminate the use of broth if you want. Play with the herbs and spices too! Parsley is my usual herb, but I was out of it!(the herb that is!!)

Well, soon I will post Christmas menus as well as menus for in between for next week.

God bless!!

No comments: