Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Update and Hello

I'm so sorry I haven't been on here in so long, I just have been grabbing groceries here and there when I can and tossing meals together with what I can. In the very near future, I will be doing a huge stock up grocery trip. I'm really hoping to get back on track with my OAMC, I REALLY miss that.
I'm also planning on incorporating this website into a homekeeping site as well.

Until then, here's a few tips I'd like to pass along!!
Be blessed!! and remember you can always check the archives to see my old menus and grocery lists!!

*I have been shopping by the sales in the flyers and basing my menus on that. I have also been trying hard to watch my usual store for some sort of routine in the sales they may have during each month.

* I have been buying regular ground beef and then draining and rinsing it to save money and get rid of fat. This has been very cost effective and as long as I season the meat afterwards, it hasn't compromised flavour. If I'm making hamburgers, I broil them and let the fat drip into the pan rather than cook them in the frying pan.

* I have been making sure to keep my coupons well stocked, and then using them on products that are also on sale, thus cutting the price down even more.

* Buying meat on it's last day (I usually save $1 to $1.50)

* Being a smart shopper and really paying attention to the prices, I never go shopping without my calculator now. On the pricetags you will notice a price per unit, this how you take advantage of sales. look closely, it's there at every grocery store. Sometimes the wholesale or clubpack isn't much of a saving.

* Mark down on your list how much you're able to spend on each item you need and DO NOT sway from it. Right every item you may need on your list and follow it to a 'T'.
Also, mark down beside each item how much it's price is (or what it is marked at). Do this for two reasons 1. so you can watch the prices and see if you are under budget to either save that money or add a different item to your list. 2. So you can make good usage of the SCOP (Scan Code Of Practice) should the need arise. If you aren't sure what this is, it is a code of practice that most Canadian grocers adhere to, it basically states that if an item scans for more money than what it's posted price is, it's yours for free!! If the item is over $10, you will receive $10 off the price. As I said, most grocers here in Canadian are a part of this program, but you have to be a smart consumer and watch and speak up if it happens, because you can bet no one else will!!LOL
Heres where you can get more info:
List of Participants
Info on this program

*Also look for the in-store coupons and use them if they benefit you, once again, look carefully at the prices per unit to see if you're really saving anything.

*Check out the cheapo bins, even bruised produce can be used in baking.

* Last but not least, look for a Good food box program in your area, they can provide you a large portion of produce for soooo much cheaper than in the store AND it;s the same produce that gets sent to the grocers!!LOL We will be receiving our first 45lbs box of produce on Thursday and we only paid $25.00!! Granted, I cannot chose the type of produce, but it's based on local farmers and what is in season.
I'll be back when I can with more tidbits and hopefully some recipes to share...new ones that is!!!!

Be blessed!!
~Penny

No comments: